Thursday, November 04, 2004

Election Reflections: A Victory

I don't feel a sense of defeat today; at least about the election results. Rather, I feel truly fortunate and thankful to have been able to vote. My vote was not necessarily for anyone as much as it was a matter of principle. As such, my vote was a success. However, I do feel a sense of loss, of disconnect, of abandonment, and alienation, from the community in which I was formed and raised. Cut adrift. I blame no one, I was not cut adrift, I have cut myself. I cannot continue to be identified with a false way, a counterfeit gospel.

It is therefore official: I can no longer consider myself an "evangelical" in the current sense of the word. I find I most closely identify with the concept of Dave Tomlinson in his book The Post-Evangelical. It's strange leaving because fundamentalism and evangelicalism were home, they were secure. They always had answers, that was their real strength, that's what's so attractive about them. It's a wild and unpredictable world out there. You never know what's going to come your way. Guess I'll just have to trust God. As a recovering evangelical that will take some practice.

But, as I leave, I wish to look back, to reach back with compassion on those who still find themselves in the pre-critical phases (the "oral" phase if you will) of fundamentalism. I continue to be concerned about those who don't vote out of thoughtful, gospel-formed principle. I continue to be disturbed (deeply) by Christians who can cast a vote for a "known commodity" in the form of an incumbent who has clearly violated the direct teachings of their savior. It is impossible for me to believe that Jesus would have condoned any of the violence perpetrated against the people of Iraq. If he would have, then he is simply not a consistent witness to himself and is therefore not worthy of devotion.

I continue to wonder why Christians say they feel like they "have" to vote for a Republican regardless of their view on the war because only the Republicans are "pro-life." I wonder why no one has noticed that the rate of abortions has gone up dramatically during the past 4 years after dropping drastically during the Clinton administration. Probably not wise for the White House to mention that during the election season.

I continue to be disturbed about how evangelical Christians can be so greedy as to vote for someone whose tax cuts don't even benefit them (unless, that is, if they happen to be in the top 10% or so of the nation's wealthiest people). How can they really think that it's right for them to vote for policies that allow them to hoard money to the detriment of the humans that live just down the street? Do they really believe in a Jesus that would have lived in relative luxury while even one person in the same town had to go without food, health care, clothing, and basic provisions? Again, if he would have, then he is simply not worthy of devotion.

But evangelicals have come out in droves this election to state that they believe their "Messiah" would have wanted it this way.

So, I finish with a thoughtful passage from John Howard Yoder, in "The Way of Peace," from He Came Preaching Peace.

Christians whose loyalty to the Prince of Peace puts them out of step with today's nationalistic world, because they are willing to love their nation's friends but not to hate their nation's enemies, are not unrealistic dreamers who think that by their objections they will end all wars. On the contrary, it is the soldiers who think they can put an end to wars by preparing for just one more.

Christians love their enemies because God does so, and commands his followers to do so. That is the only reason, and that is enough.

No one created in God's image and for whom Christ died can be for me an enemy, whose life I am willing to threaten or to take, unless I am more devoted to something else - to a political theory, to a nation, to the defense of certain privileges, or to my own personal welfare - than I am to God's cause: his loving invasion of this world in his prophets, his Son, and his church.